Stress is a problem that we all experience at times in our lives, some more so than others, and it can range anywhere from minor to extreme. It impacts numerous functions in our body and can even have a negative impact on our skin. One of the many uses of cannabidiol (CBD) is to help reduce stress and the toll it can take on our bodies.
What is Stress?
Defining stress is difficult because it comes in all different shapes, sizes, and for different reasons. There’s acute stress, chronic stress, eustress, and distress. Acute stress is when the body prepares to defend itself and “fight of flight” occurs. Chronic stress is the type of stress we try to push down and ignore, like bills, kids, job etc. Left uncontrolled this will impact your health, body, and immune system. Eustress is the daily life stress that has positive connotations such as getting married, promoted, or having a baby. Distress on the other hand is the daily stress that has negative connotations. This includes getting divorced, injured, or having financial problems. All types of stress can lead to minor to severe health issues as these stress hormones are released in your body.
According to a survey from the American Psychological Association in 2017, the top 5 causes for stress were:
- Future of our nation – 63%
- Money – 62%
- Work – 61%
- Political climate – 57%
- Violence and crime – 51%
No matter the exact reason as to why people are feeling stressed, the one thing we can all agree on is that stress is not fun! For hundreds of years people have been trying to find ways to eliminate or reduce this unwanted problem.
Stress and Your Skin
When it comes to your skin quality, stress can play a major role! According to WebMD, “stress causes a chemical response in your body that makes skin more sensitive and reactive. It can also make it harder for skin problems to heal.”
If you’re someone who suffers from, or has ever suffered from an unpleasant skin condition, then you know that it is one of the most uncomfortable feelings imaginable. Many set out to try and solve the problem of stress and the skin conditions that come with it by offering all sorts of salves, toners, and remedies passed down throughout the years. So, what makes pure hemp extract, CBD, different?
CBD Skincare and StressBefore we get into the specifics about how CBD helps to relieve stress, let’s go over some basic terminology to help understand this phenomenon:
- Cannabinoids – The chemical compounds (i.e. THC and CBD) secreted by the cannabis flower that provide relief to an array of symptoms.
- Endocannabinoids – Compounds our bodies naturally produce, which activate to maintain internal stability, health, and homeostasis.
- Phytocannabinoids – Cannabinoids that we receive from consuming the cannabis plant, which in return interacts favorably with our Endocannabinoid System.
- Cannabidiol (CBD) – A cannabis compound that has many perceived health benefits and is non-psychoactive, meaning you won’t feel “high”.
- Endocannabinoid System (ECS) – Network of cell-level receptors positioned throughout your entire body. It’s one of the most abundant protein receptors in the brain and also found in your organs, skin, bones, and connective tissues.
- Cannabinoid (CB) Receptors – “Consists of 474 amino acids strung together in a crumpled chain that squiggles back and forth across the cell membrane seven times. They function as subtle sensing devices, tiny vibrating scanner perpetually primed to pick up biochemical cues that flow through fluids surrounding each cell.” - Martin Lee of Project CBD.
Alright, so there’s the basics that we’ll need to understand to fully grasp how CBD can help with stress. If you’re like most people, you’ve probably been hearing about all the great uses of CBD and cannabis in general. Most of these require far more testing and studies, but the early results coming in and the fact that people continue to buy these products, speaks volumes for CBD’s effectiveness. By understanding more about the Endocannabinoid System and how it works at the cell-level, it’s easy to comprehend how and why CBD is such a multipurpose solution.
As we said above, the goal of the Endocannabinoid System is to achieve and maintain homeostasis. Unfortunately, chronic stress can lead to an imbalance or deficiency of endocannabinoids in our body. Luckily, CBD is here to help! A good way to imagine CBD and other cannabinoids is to picture them as a key. Due to their cellular structure, they interact with the Endocannabinoid System in some unique and meaningful ways. CBD in particular helps restore and promote homeostasis by encouraging the body to produce endocannabinoids, and also prevents the overstimulation of CB receptors. On top of just interacting with the Endocannabinoid System, CBD has been known to also positively effect serotonin levels as well as neural regeneration.
To get the full effect of CBD and help reduce stress, we recommend a combination of CBD-infused skincare products and tinctures. Our Peppermint Zen Full-Spectrum Tincture contains 600 mg of CBD and is perfect for easing anxiety, stress, and pains. To use, just place drops under your tongue for absorption as needed. CBD has also been known to greatly reduce inflammation, which in turn can potentially reduce the flare-ups from acne or rosacea, and studies are showing that it can help with signs of aging too. So, be sure to pair the tincture with one of our CBD skincare products to ensure that your Endocannabinoid System is getting the support it needs and craves to achieve the ultimate goal of homeostasis to help reduce stress and it's effects on the skin!
Ready to shop? Click below to be taken to our online store! Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to receive a coupon code for 15% off your first purchase!